What draws you to social media? Is it family, friends, trend watching perhaps? Social networking sites are a great way for individuals to engage with others both locally and across the globe.
The Early Day’s of Social Networking
When the first social network, Six Degrees, was recognized by web-users in 1997, it allowed for people to upload their photos to a profile, and create friendships with other users. Though it only lasted until 2001, it was based on a “Web Contacts Model” or what we knew in the days of Myspace as a social circles model.
Today, we share information and connect with others through modern forms of this model. (i.e. Facebook, Instagram, and so on).
Whether you are a blogger, digital author or artist, or a personal brand, knowing how to manage your social media reputation is key to your success. If you want to learn the do’s of social media, then this article is for you.
The Social Media Do’s
- Do join social networks after determining which platforms are right for you. Sites like Linkedin, are a must for career networking, while other channels serve different purposes. Learn which is beneficial for your brand and how each functions .
- Do curate. Create effective content that your friends and audience can relate to.
- Do keep private things, private. The social-sphere cannot retract things once said. People remember what you say, and some may even repurpose your content. Proceed with caution.
- Do Google yourself. Do this to learn about your brand mentions. Sometimes you may find a mention of yourself in blogs, tweets or other forms of social media, which is great for your brand.
- Do engage. Communicate and show your followers that you are human by asking and answering questions in your comments. Remember to search for relevant discussions to participate in.
- Do SEO proof your content. Social media accounts rank differently on various search engines. The more buzz surrounding your social media accounts, the better you will rank. Thus, comments, likes, shares etc. are needed.
- Do analyze data. Keep up with who follows, views or likes your page. Monitor the number of engagements on your content. It is important to know which of your pieces stand out the most, and work for your audience and business.
Embracing The Social Media Do’s will help to improve your brand. With a good strategy, these recommendations can easily be implemented into your social media routine. Stay tuned for the next part in this series about the Social Media Don’ts.
Q&A: What are some of your tips for Social Media Do’s? Comment your answers below.
Category: Blogging, Integration