Blogs are an effective tool for small businesses to create unique and powerful content to help customers engage with your company. And they are cheap too! As a small business, creating the right [valuable] content at the right time will position your business as a trusted source of information within your given industry. It will also create the kind of engaged following that will advocate for your content and ultimately, your business.
According to Microsoft research, 10 seconds is as long as you may have to engage your readers before they click away from your page. As a small business, it is hard enough to be seen – but to be heard is even harder. So even if your customers are seeing the content you publish, are they stopping to listen to what you have to say?
7 Tips for Small Business Blogging
The tips below outline some key considerations to make when creating a blog post for your small business.
1. Make sure your blog post has an SEO optimized headline that is unique, specific and/or creates urgency to draw your reader in. Make sure your intro paragraph is also optimized for SEO. Check out the Yoast SEO plugin for WordPress or a similar service to maximize your use of SEO.
2. The ‘meat’ of your post should be broken up into shorter paragraphs and contain subheads. The easier customers can scan your content, the better. Also use bold or italicized text, bulleted lists and visual elements such as video or images that support your content.
3. Use a human voice. People like to engage with real people – be as genuine as possible.
4. Create content that solves a reader’s problem, anticipates their needs, or educates them on a topic.
5. Use relevant hashtags and keywords to boost your chances of being found on social media.
6. Cite sources and give credit to others content and images. Creating outbound links also boosts credibility and brings visibility to your content.
7. Don’t forget the share buttons! Make it as easy as possible for your customers to share your content.
So ask yourself:
Can my customers find my content?
Can my customers easily scan my content for what is relevant to them?
Can my customers easily share my content?
If not, review these 7 tips for small business blogging before publishing your post to maximize your content’s ability to engage and entice your audience.
Is there anything I missed? I would love to hear from you. Share your thoughts in the comments below!
We LOVE your feedback! Please click below to comment about this article or share it to you favorite social media page… THANKS!
Category: Advanced Tactics